Russell Senate Office BuildingFirst Century, 1909-2009A new online exhibit celebrates the 100th anniversary of the Russell Senate Office building./artandhistory/history/common/image/Russell_buildingRussell Building/artandhistory/history/common/image/RussellCornerstoneRussell Cornerstone Until 1909 senators had no official office space, but instead met in committee rooms of the Capitol or in their private residences. With the growth of legislative business and the United States, there became a great need for expanded working space. As a result, Congress passed the Sundry Civil Appropriations Act of 1904, providing for a new fireproof Senate office building and creating a Senate Building Commission. Construction began in 1905, and the building was officially occupied in 1909.In 1972, the Senate adopted a resolution officially naming the building for Georgia Senator Richard Brevard Russell.This exhibit is a pictorial history of the Russell Building drawn from the rich archival collections of the Architect of the Capitol, Library of Congress, U.S. Senate Historical Office, and U.S. Senate Commission on Art. Many of these images have never before been viewed by the public.For more information on the Russell Senate Office Building, visit the Virtual Reference Desk's research guide./artandhistory/history/common/teaser/