Supreme Court Justices' Desks
By James Green (1801-1880)
Mahogany, circa 1837
Size: 34 3/8" h.
Catalog Nos. 65.00002.001 -
65.00001.001 - 65.00001.007 (originals)
S-141, Old Supreme Court Chamber
U.S. Senate Collection
Office of Senate Curator
On the east side of the Old Supreme Court Chamber, in front of the room's red-curtained windows, are located nine justices' desks. Constructed of mahogany, seven of these desks were purchased by the Supreme Court in 1837 from local cabinetmaker James Green. Four of these desks are known to have been used by Justices Robert Grier, James Wayne, David Davis, and John Catron.
There are nine justices' desks in the Old Supreme Court Chamber, seven of which are original pieces. Although nine justices served on the Court in 1860, the number of justices has fluctuated from five to ten between 1789 and 1869.