In 1870, the House Committee on Military Affairs commissioned artist Seth Eastman to paint 17 images of important fortifications in the United States. He completed the works between 1870 and 1875.
For many years, the fort paintings hung in the rooms assigned to the House Military Affairs Committee, first in the Capitol and later in the Cannon House Office Building. During the late 1930s, they were returned to the Capitol for public display. Of the 17 paintings, 8 are located in the Senate wing.