Beginning in the 1880s, senators sought more office space as their workloads and staff began to grow. In 1891 the Senate acquired an apartment building on Constitution Ave., the Maltby Building, and converted it into offices, which senators occupied until 1905. In 1909 the Senate's first office building, later named for Senator Richard Russell of Georgia, opened. In 1958 construction of a second office building, later named for Senator Everett Dirksen of Illinois, was completed. In 1982 senators moved into a third office building, named for Senator Philip Hart of Michigan.
Return to Historic Buildings and Spaces